The Windows 8.1 has gone public and it is expected to address the woes and complaints regarding its predecessor, Windows 8. The latest reviews show that the Windows 8.1 is doing a pretty job at that. One of the disadvantages that almost all the users noted is the inability to download the Windows 8.1 ISO files directly. Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to the Windows 8 users, but you will not be able to download the Windows 8.1 ISO file. This has made many of the users to rethink the decision of downloading Windows 8 OS. Fortunately, the tips shared below will let you download the Windows 8.1 ISO file from the Microsoft web site.
The steps discussed below cannot be used to do a clean install. This will only help you to update an existing installation of Windows 8 to save your download time and cost.
- From your computer, visit the Microsoft’s Upgrade Windows with only a product key page and click once on the Install Windows 8 button.
- Wait until the set up utility launches and type in your Windows 8 product key. After that, let the download begin.
- You need not complete downloading Windows 8. After the download has started, close the set up utility window.
- Return to the Windows Upgrade page in Step 1 and click on the Install Windows 8.1 button. The setup utility will run again but this time it will not ask you for a product key. Instead of that, Windows 8.1 ISO will begin the download right away.
- Once the download is completed successfully, you will be presented with the following three options: Install now, Install later from your desktop and Install by creating media.
- Click on the Install by creating media option and then on the Next button. This will give you two options: USB flash drive and ISO file.
- Use the ISO file option. When you select this option, you will be asked to specify a location to save the ISO file.
These are the steps to download the Windows 8.1 ISO file using the Windows 8 product key. This workaround can help you to download the Windows 8.1 ISO file successfully without encountering any errors. If you are not sure of any of the steps discussed above, you may contact the Microsoft support number for further assistance.