We have been using different types of storage devices so far and USB is one among them. Even if online storage spaces have made their footprint among storage methods, the USBs have their own importance when convenience is considered. We can store large amount of data according to the storage capacity possessed by a USB hard drive. When we connect the external hard drive to the computer, you might encounter certain errors and there are certain possible reasons that can cause these errors. Some may find that the External hard disk drive does not detect and they create problems in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP and Vista.
People may get frustrated when they find it difficult to open the External USB hard disk drive. There are several solutions to address this problem with external hard disk drive. You can follow the tips and instructions to overcome this problem. If you are the one who is experiencing this issue, go ahead with the following steps and instructions.
Check the USB connections
- There are external hard disk drives that are USB powered. There is a cable that connects the USB hard disk drive with the USB slot. You need to ensure that they are connected properly.
- The problem might be with the USB cable. You can try to replace it. This might sometimes solve the issue.
- There are external drives that get connected using adapter. You can check whether the adapter that is connected is working well or you can replace it and check once again.
- To check whether the issue is with the External hard disk, you can get it connected to other USB port.
Check USB drivers
- If you are using a USB driver or Chipset driver, make sure that you use the latest one and install it on your computer. This will help to avoid problems arising from such devices.
- To check whether the issue is with Windows operating system, you can update Windows by running Windows Update.
- You can verify the motherboard or the support website of the manufacturer and download and install the drivers from the site.
- If you connect your USB device and if it does not show up, you need to verify whether your computer has detected such a device or not.
If you have any doubts, you can contact Windows 8 Help & Support. You can also get instructions by navigating to Windows 8 Help options.