Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system comes with .Net Framework 4 by default. But, while trying to run certain applications in Windows 8, you will encounter certain Microsoft problems. These issues arise because the program you are running in Windows 8 may require .Net Framework 3.5.1. In other words, some programs need to install .Net Framework version 3.5.1 for smooth running. As .Net Framework version 3.5.1 is missing in Windows 8 and one that is pre-installed is .Net Framework 4, you will need to download and install .Net Framework 3.5.1 separately.
If you try running an application that needs .Net Framework 3.5.1, you will be diverted to the Windows Update page automatically where you can find the required files to install the .Net Framework 3.5.1. But it is seen that the downloading process never gets to completion because downloading this program internally requires maximum downloading speed continuously throughout the download period. And if your internet becomes slow, this will cause trouble. The following instructions will help you to overcome this hurdle and install the .Net framework 3.5 after Windows 8 installation.
Installing .Net Framework on Windows 8
As a permanent fix to these issues, you can carry out the following steps.
- Firstly, open up the “Control Panel”, and then go to the “Programs and features”, and then click on “turn windows features on or off”.
- Then, select .Net Framework 3.5.1 feature and click ‘Ok’. Windows 8 will connect to Windows Update site and download the necessary files.
- You will be prompted with a message “Windows successfully completed the request changes” once the downloading is complete.
- After Windows 8 installation of the framework, the issues with those applications that needed net Framework 3.5.1 shall be solved.
To enable .net Framework 3.5.1 on offline computers,
- You need to have Windows 8 DP installation media. In the C drive on your computer, create a “net35” folder. Open command prompt by simply using Win + R shortcut key. Execute the following command in the command line:
xcopy H:\sources\sxs\*.* c:\net35 /s
where, H is the DVD drive and it takes time to copy all files to H.
- After copying all files, you should open Command Prompt with Administrator rights. Type and execute the following into command line :
Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\net35 /LimitAccess
- After which you will get a prompt that the operation is successfully completed.
That’s how you install .net Framework 3.5.1 on your Windows 8 computer. Ciao!