This article will be your guide for the Windows 8 installation of VMware workstation. Before installing the VMware Workstation for Windows 8, the users must have two things:
- VMware Workstation, that is downloadable
- Windows 8 ISO, that also is downloadable
Windows 8 installation steps for VMware
Using Custom (advanced) option to install the VMware. Follow the steps:
- Open VMware Workstation and select New Virtual Machine
- Alternately, press CTRL + N in VMware Workstation.
- Select Custom (advanced) and click Next.
- Click Next and select Installer disc image (iso) and click Browse
- Navigate to the location where Windows 8 ISO is downloaded/located, select it and click Open.
- Click Next and insert the Windows product key if you have one.
- If you don’t have one just leave the fields empty
- Click Next and validate the prompt.
- Type a new name for Virtual machine name or leave it as is.
- Select the location of the virtual machine and make sure you have at least 16GB for 32-bit Windows 8 and 20GB for 64-bit Windows 8 free space in the selected location .
- According to Microsoft, 30GB is better to avoid running out of free space.
- Select Number of processors to match the ones and Number of cores per processor.
- For a single core CPU it is one, for a dual-core CPU it is two, for a quad-core CPU it is four and so on.
- This will ensure the virtual machine is functioning at optimum parameters.
- Click Next and select the RAM memory size that you want to allocate to the virtual machine.
- Microsoft recommends a minimum of 1GB for 32-bit Windows 8 and 2GB for 64-bit Windows 8.
- However, it is better to have double in the minimum requirements for a smoother operation.
- Click Next, Next and select Create a new virtual disk to set up from scratch.
- The other two options should be left alone for inexperienced users.
- Click Next, Next and allocate at least the minimum recommended space.
- Select Store virtual disk as a single file for optimum performance.
- Click Next and use a different name for the disk file or leave as is.
- Click Next then Finish and the install process will start.
These steps will help in installing the VMware for Windows 8.