Until the release of the Windows 8, getting into Advanced Options menu and Safe Mode was an easy task. All you have to do is press down the F8 key at Windows boot. However, with the release of Windows 8, Microsoft made it a bit more complicated to get into that menu. This was mainly because the latest OS has a new boot loader with a graphical interface and, as tablets do not have any keys that can be pressed during boot.
Safe mode is a mode wherein the system loads only the drivers that are absolutely necessary for starting Windows. In this mode, users can resolve a number of Windows 8 problems such as cleaning the computer of viruses, Trojans and other malware, and diagnose any driver problems.
Here are two methods that you can follow to enter Safe Mode and Advanced Options menu.
Method 1- If you are familiar with the Run commands, then use this method.
- Select the Start button from the left corner of your taskbar and choose Run from the popup menu.
- In the run command box that opens up, type ‘shutdown.exe /r /o’ and then click OK.
- Press Close when Windows 8 tells you that you are about to be signed off.
- When the following screen appears, choose Troubleshoot.
- Choose Advanced Options from the Troubleshoot Options screen.
- Choose Startup Settings from the Advanced Options window.
- Choose Restart from the Startup Settings. You can see the Advanced Boot Options menu when your system restarts.
Now you can enter into Safe mode using your keyboard number keys.
Method 2- If you are not familiar with Run commands, then use the method given below.
- Open up Charms by placing your mouse on the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Open Settings by choosing the Gear icon on the right.
- Press down the SHIFT key and then select Power.
- Click Restart while holding down the SHIFT key. You will be taken to the troubleshooting screen when your computer restarts.
- Select Troubleshoot when the following screen appears and then follow Step 5 through 7 from the previous method.
Try out these instructions to enter safe mode and the advanced options menu. If the problem persists, simply contact the Windows support team, to get instant help. You can seek their help for any other Windows 8 problems as well.